Shoes can make a huge difference in your overall health and your athletic abilities!
Upcoming Class: The Shoe ClinicTuesday April 3, 7-8:30 PM
Learn how you can treat and prevent foot problems by choosing shoes that promote foot health. We will take a look at the natural motion of the foot, discuss what to look for in shoes (and why!), and check your shoes to see how they measure up. (Please bring 4-6 pairs.)
You'll learn ways to modify your own shoes to improve foot health, and you'll leave with enough knowledge to confidently choose healthy shoes for future purchases. Featuring Pie Footwear's mobile version of their store, so we can have a variety of examples of minimalist shoes (no pressure to purchase).
People's second floor community room, 3029 SE 21st Ave (1 block south of Powell Blvd.)
$10-20 sliding scale, paid in advance.
Check out my other upcoming classes!
Articles on Feet and Shoes by Karin:
- Minimalism: Put Your Shoes to the Test 4-page article published in the Rolf Journal of Structural Integration, March 2018. Aimed at practitioners, yet easy to read. It includes some anatomy terms.
- Healthy Shoe Choices: 2 page simplified article, published in WalkAbout Porltand magazine, October 2010.
Videos on Foot Health, Running Technique, Etc:
- Correct Toes Video Library: Free, short videos on many foot conditions, exercises, shoes, etc.
- Minimalist Mondays: Free videos on warm-ups and techniques for safe running. Focuses on minimal shoes, or barefoot, but helpful for all runners.
Books on Foot Health:
- Anatomy for Runners: Book by Jay Dicharry PT. Scientific yet easy-to-understand explanations of foot health, shoe performance, and holistic strengthening to make running safe and healthy. Great color pictures yet not expensive.
- Born to Run: Book by Christopher McDougall. An engaging story of tribe in Mexico who are ultrarunners, using nothing but a handmade sandle for 3-day races. Compelling argument against modern running shoes. Very complimentary to the material I teach in the Shoe Clinic.
Local Resources for Healthy Feet and Shoes:
- Pie Footwear (NE Alberta): my favorite store for minimalist shoes (wide toe, flexible flat soles).
- Northwest Foot & Ankle: Podiatrist Ray McClanahan is my primary source for holistic advice about choosing shoes and treating foot problems, especially for runners, walkers, and hikers. (NW Portland)
Scientific Studies About Minimalist Footwear:
- Barefoot Walking Study: Shows that barefoot walking results in less weight load into the knee, and therefore a decreased risk of osteoarthritis. Danskos and motion-controlling athletic shoes performed badly, while minimalistic shoes performed almost as well as bare feet.
- Barefoot Running Study: Compared running in bare feet vs. athletic shoes. Synopsis and video.